- FIW Conferences.
- FIW Workshops .
- 33th FIW-Workshop on Regional Economics.
- 32th FIW-Workshop 'Gravity at Sixty'.
- 31st FIW-Workshop 'Firms and Workers in the Global Economy'.
- 30th FIW Workshop "W.I.E.N".
- 29. FIW Workshop "Women in International Economics".
- 28th FIW Workshop on International Economic Networks.
- 27th FIW Workshop on International Economic Networks.
- 26th FIW Workshop on International Economic Networks.
- 22. FIW Workshop "International Trade 200 years after Ricardo".
- 21. FIW Workshop "From Tariffs to Standards. Assessing the role of Non-Tariff Measures".
- 20. International Economics.
- 19. Trade, Migration and Labor Market Outcomes.
- 18. Political Economy of Trade Poliy.
- 17. Lessons from the Financial Crisis.
- 16. An Industrial Renaissance in Europe.
- 15. Trade & Productivity.
- 14. Rebalancing the Global Economy.
- 13. Global Trade and Growth.
- 12. Research Agenda.
- 11. FIW-Research Reports.
- 10. New Protectionism.
- 9. Access to Microdata.
- 8. New New Trade Theory.
- 7. FDI II.
- 6. Services.
- 5. Research Agenda.
- 4. FDI.
- 3. Migration.
- 2. Trade Agreements.
- 1. EU-Enlargment.
- FIW Seminars.
- FIW Lectures.
- External Events.
The FIW - Research Centre International Economics (https://www.fiw.ac.at/) is a cooperation between the Vienna University of Economics and Business (WU), the University Vienna, the Johannes Kepler University Linz, the University of Innsbruck, WIFO, wiiw and WSR. FIW is supported by the Austrian Federal Ministries of Education, Research and Science (BMBFW) and of Labour and Economy (BMAW).
FIW Workshop "From Tariffs to Standards. Assessing the role of Non-Tariff Measures"
Friday, October 21, 8:30 am - 1.30 pm
The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies (wiiw)
Seminar Room (Souterrain)
Rahlgasse 3, 1060 Vienna
Today we face lively discussions about non-tariff measures (NTMs) as trade policy tools, stimulated by concerns that non-tariff measures might be used as protectionist tools in times of economic crisis and, in the case of the ongoing negotiations of mega-regional deals such as TTIP, that non-tariff measures regulated in bilateral trade agreements might undermine multilateralism. Further, the negotiations of NTMs in these trade deals are disputed as a potential threat to European quality standards.
This half-day workshop aims at shedding light on the nature, evolution and use of different types of non-tariff measures. In particular, we invited experts on antidumping (Maurizio Zanardi, LUMS), technical barriers to trade (Lionel Fontagné, PSE) and standards (Olga Solleder, ITC) to explore the diverse effects of different non-tariff measures. After the presentation of recent research results, there will be an opportunity for the audience to discuss with the speakers the role of non-tariff measures in the context of recent trade deals and ongoing negotiations.
This workshop provides a suitable setting for policy-makers and the scientific community alike to discuss and learn about the core of 'new generation' trade agreements.
The workshop is organised by The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies (wiiw) within the Research Center International Economics (FIW). The FIW is a project of the The Federal Ministry of Science, Research and Economy (BMWFW). It is a collaboration of WIFO, wiiw, WSR and Vienna University of Economics and Business, University of Vienna and Johannes Kepler University Linz.
8:30 Entrance, coffee
9:00 Opening Remarks:
Mathias Brunner (Federal Ministry of Science, Research and Economy)
Robert Stehrer (wiiw)
9:20 Julia Grübler (wiiw) The diversity of Non-Tariff Measures
9:40 Maurizio Zanardi (Lancaster University Management School – LUMS) Preferential Trade Agreements and Contingent Protection
10:25 Lionel Fontagné (Paris School of Economics) Let's Try Next Door: Technical Barriers to Trade and Multi-destination Firms
11:10 Coffee break
11:30 Olga Solleder (ITC, Geneva) SME Competitiveness Outlook: Meeting the standard for trade.
12:15 Mahdi Ghodsi (wiiw) Quality impacts of Non-Tariff Measures
13:00 Round-up: Non-Tariff Measures and recent trade deals (Chair: Fritz Breuss)
13:30 End of Workshop
Registration is necessary - please register here