The FIW - Research Centre International Economics (https://www.fiw.ac.at/) is a cooperation between the Vienna University of Economics and Business (WU), the University Vienna, the Johannes Kepler University Linz, the University of Innsbruck, WIFO, wiiw and WSR. FIW is supported by the Austrian Federal Ministries of Education, Research and Science (BMBFW) and of Labour and Economy (BMAW).
Call for applications Prae-Doc at the Austrian Institute of Economic Research (WIFO)
WIFO is looking for an Scientific Project Assistant, Prae Doc (m/f/d, 30hrs/week) under limited employment contract for a period of 4 years from the start of the position
for the research group Industrial Economics, Innovation and International Competition for a third-party funded research project.
If you are interested, please send your application with all supporting documents by June 15, 2022 by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are looking forward to the earliest possible start of employment, in any case September 1, 2022.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Mr. Alexander Hudetz or email@example.com.
Within the framework of the “FIW - Research Centre International Economics“ (https://www.fiw.ac.at/) a third party funded Prae-Doc position in the field of „International Economics“ - at the Austrian Institute of Economic Research (WIFO) - is advertised.
• Completion of a doctoral program in social and economic sciences at the Vienna University of Economics
and Business Administration
• Writing a dissertation in the field of „International Economics“ with content and methodological
embedding in WIFO‘s research activities.
• Participation in the activities of the Competence Center „Research Focus International Economics“ https://www.fiw.ac.at/.
• The focus of the position is on independent, applied empirical economic research.
• The position is integrated into the structures of WIFO. We encourage active participation in the researchactivities of WIFO and FIW.
Furthermore, WIFO is eager to support the dissertation project, an open and constructive exchange with the colleagues and consultants of WIFO and the network of FIW is possible and desired.
What you need
• Completed diploma or master‘s degree in social sciences with a focus on economics or a comparable degree program
• Knowledge of economic theory as well as a documented interest in theoretically based empirical work,
• Very good methodological skills (data science, mathematics, statistics, econometrics),
• Experience with relevant software (including R, Eviews, Stata, Matlab, LaTeX).
• Ability to work independently in a scientific manner.
Additionally desired or of advantage
• Research experience
• Excellent English language skills (written and spoken)
• Ability to communicate in a team.
What we offer
• Insights into methods, data infrastructure, research at WIFO
• Scientific publication opportunities (e.g., co-authorship)
• Career mentoring by the FIW-Research Network
• Supervision for the dissertation thesis by Professor Gabriel Felbermayr and/or Professor Harald Oberhofer.
• Collegial atmosphere, flat hierarchies, and social networking opportunities at WIFO
• Autonomy in the work process, e.g., home office and flextime model.
Required application documents (please provide three separate PDF files for 1. to 3.)
1. Letter of motivation
2. Curriculum vitae incl. (if available) list of publications
3. Tentative research plan for the proposed dissertation
4. List of econometrics or data analysis seminars you have attended in your master program incl.
grading (title, institution, grade, date)
5. Sample publication(s): at least one, max. 3 scientific publication(s) where you are author or coauthor;
ideally master thesis (final or status quo); if applicable, working paper, research report etc.
WIFO offers a 30 hrs/week position. The salary corresponds to the FWF rate for doctoral candidates of
currently 2.300,30 € gross per year. WIFO seeks to increase the share of women in research and thus
strongly encourages female candidates to apply. In case of equal qualification, the female candidate
will be given preference.